Monday, July 23, 2007

Paper paper everywhere

How is it possible that Wilf Lancaster could be so wrong? When I was in Library School at the University of Illinois many years ago, Mr. Paperless Society kept promising a world of digital efficiency. I've just spent the last 3 hours winnowing the chaff out of my 05-07 files and find that while there is quite a bit of chaff, there's also a fair amount that needs to be kept for the historical record. If only I had the time to keep one set of files (all digital by choice) I think I might be a little better off... but as long as people keep handing me paper in meetings, I'm going to have to go through the weeding and archiving process in multiple formats. I know there are more efficient ways to organize one's life, but I'm a slow learner, I guess. Thank goodness for the fabulous Amy Stutesman who makes me do this regularly whether I want to or not!